Friday, February 24, 2012

So, it's me and my families first trip to Chicago, and we are taking the Amtrak (should we get there an hour before the train leaves, a half hour, or what) we are already going to the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry,and the Sears Tower Sky deck. (about how long do you spend in each place) What are the best broadway plays/musicals to see (I was thinking Wicked), comments on the Blue Man Group, and anywhere else we should go or do. Also, where to get cheap designer clothes and purses in Chicago, comments on Michigan Avenue, China Town, Navy Pier, and were are some good (not too expensive) restaurants.|||Wicked is no longer playing in Chicago, so you can check broadwayinchicago.org to see what shows will be playing while you're there. (ie. Billy Elliot the musical opens the 18th of March at the Oriental Theatre, which is on 151 W Randolph, just about a minute away from the 'Lake' redline station) And I reckon you can spend about an hour, maybe two, at most of the places you have mentioned (That said, I've never actually been to the top of The Sears Tower, which is now actually The Willis Tower ... and the last time I was at the Adler Planetarium was years ago for a school field trip!) Cheap designer clothes don't really exist, but your best bet would be to try Lohemans, there's one on State Street. Most things on Michigan avenue are horribly overpriced, so if you're looking for good deals State Street is a better bet.

oh, and ... eat at portillos :)

you'll probably be pretty safe, so long as you stay inside the loop. just don't venture outside of it (especially not to the west side or the south side) There are a lot of homeless people though, and they're not shy about pestering people/asking for money, especially if they know you're a tourist. Just ignore them, don't give 'em anything.|||I think that iconic Chicago food is overrated. The hot dogs are better than Italian Beef or the deep dish pizza.

I think any trip to Chicago should include a trip to a blues club. I recommend Kingston Mines on N Halstead. The show starts at about 9:30 and runs for six hours, alternating two bands in one hour shifts.

I made it my mission while I visited the city to go to 2120 S Michigan Ave. This is the former site of Chess Studios and has a small museum there. Not much to see, but it was inspiring to me to stand in the same room where the likes of Chock Berry, Bo Diddley, Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, the Rolling Stones, Johnnie Johnson, Little Walter, Big Walter and so many more recorded. I felt the Greatness as I was there.


I di d find some greart chinese food in Chinatown.
Second City, or one of its derivatives, is a great source of entertainment.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment